Connect with us

English Premier League

Nottingham Forest 2-3 Brighton



Nottingham Forest 2-3 Brighton

Nottingham Forest 2-3 Brighton. Substitute Joao Pedro scored twice as 10-man Brighton condemned Nottingham Forest to a first home defeat of the season in a fiery five-goal thriller at the City Ground.

Anthony Elanga had headed Forest in front early on, but Evan Ferguson levelled before Pedro’s double.

He was called upon in the first half to replace the injured Ansu Fati and scored deep into injury time with a header, then after the break from the penalty spot to put the Seagulls 3-1 ahead.

Forest pulled one back with Morgan Gibbs-White scoring a penalty after a video assistant referee (VAR) review, and Lewis Dunk was shown two yellow cards in 12 seconds and sent off for protesting too vigorously.

The final whistle was greeted by wild celebrations from Roberto de Zerbi and his staff, and the Brighton boss said it was a result of the difficulties his side had faced in recent matches.

“It [the result] was a big emotion – we are suffering too much,” he told BBC Sport.

“We have too many injuries, we lost four points against Sheffield United and Fulham at home. To win is difficult – my celebration is because we are suffering too much at the moment.

“We want to celebrate with our fans. If you have the right attitude, you win the game.”

Steve Cooper’s Forest made a quick start and took the lead inside three minutes when Elanga met Gibbs-White’s excellent cross with an emphatic header at the back post.

The visitors created chances of their own with Fati firing at goal before Billy Gilmour blazed over and then, after an impressive passage of play, hit a tame effort that failed to test keeper Odysseas Vlachodimos.

And Brighton deservedly equalised when Ferguson curled a shot into the bottom corner.

The half ended with Brighton taking the lead, when Pedro leaped well to meet Pascal Gross’ cross, but their injury troubles deepened with Tariq Lamptey going off.

Both Lamptey and Fati had been the liveliest players but their early departures did not diminish Albion’s attacking threat.

Indeed, the visitors extended their lead after the break when Pedro, who had been fouled by Chris Wood, scored his fifth penalty for the Seagulls.

Forest were given late hope when Gibbs-White scored from the spot after a VAR check confirmed that Callum Hudson-Odoi had been fouled by Jack Hinshelwood in the penalty box.

Cooper says he wants to help referees, but was left frustrated by Anthony Taylor’s decision to give Brighton’s penalty and the fact VAR needed to intervene to award a spot-kick for Forest.

“I just think if he gives [Brighton’s] penalty, he’s got to give so many,” he said. “The fact he’s seen that in open play and not seen ours, needing VAR, sums up where refereeing is at. He is number one, apparently.

“I’m trying to be in the supportive camp, but then we see that. We’ve not played well enough, but having got momentum, to see a decision like that is not easy.”

Brighton skipper Dunk was sent off before Gibbs-White took the penalty, receiving his first yellow card for dissent and then a second for not retreating.

Forest sensed a dramatic equaliser but Brighton held on with their keeper Bert Verbruggen making a stunning save to deny Ryan Yates deep into 10 added minutes as the home side struggled to make their man advantage count.

source – BBC


Copyright © 2020