From the east coast of South Africa comes this vibrant chicken curry. Not for the faint-hearted!
* 1/4 cup (60ml) sunflower oil
* 8 chicken thigh fillets, cut into 3cm pieces
* 1 onion, thinly sliced
* 2 garlic cloves, chopped
* 2 cinnamon quills
* 1 tbsp mild masala curry powder or mild curry powder
* 1 tbsp ginger, chopped
* 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
* 10 curry leaves, plus extra fried to serve
* Mutti Polpa Finely Chopped Tomatoes 400g
* 2 desiree potatoes, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
* 1 Lebanese cucumber, finely chopped
* Shredded coconut, to serve
* Nigella seeds, to serve
* Lime wedges, to serve
* Roti, to serve
3 Method / Steps
Heat 1 tbs oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat. Cook half the chicken, turning, for 6 minutes or until browned. Drain on a paper towel. Repeat with another 1 tbsp oil and the remaining chicken.
Add remaining 1 tbs oil to the pan and cook onion, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, cinnamon, curry powder, ginger, fennel and curry leaves, then cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Return chicken to pan with tomato and potato, and 1 cup (250ml) water. Bring to a simmer, then cook for 10 minutes or until potato is tender and chicken is cooked through.
Top the curry with cucumber and scatter with coconut and nigella seeds. Serve with lime wedges and roti on the side.
source – cooking365.co.za